Rocktown Rollers's Fan Box

Monday, May 13, 2013

Moving Forward Motivated

Balancing life and derby can be a tricky thing.  How do you make sure that you are giving the right amount of time to the right things?  How do you make family and work and school and kids activities and derby all fit into one day AND still sleep at night for more than two hours?!  Some nights I don't know how to do it all, some days I sit back and wonder if I have bitten off more than I should have; fortunately most days the joy of all I do makes it worthwhile.

But what about when you hit that plateau? When you feel like no matter what skater you ask for pointers, no matter what clinic you attend, you are just stuck in the same rut.  What do you do when you find yourself feeling more frustrated than over joyed at the end of a practice?  What about then, how do you get over the funk and move forward without losing your desire to do it all?  This has been my issue here lately.  This is my confession, my rant and my promise to move forward motivated.  I feel like I am at the point of treading water.  I think I am trying harder and harder, I do workouts outside of practice (not as much as I should, but hey, you just read what all I have in my life! LOL) I listen to my coaches and captains, I ask advice of other skaters, and I feel as if I am not moving up to the place I wish to be.

It has taken me two years to get to where I am, and as I have said jokingly before to a few of my teammates "It has taken a lot of hard work to be at this level of suck! I used to suck a lot more!!"  I have not gotten to the point that I am at over night, it has taken a lot of work, but I'm greedy, I want more, I want to have the skill to jump the apex, break through the brick wall of derby booties in front of me without faltering and I want to increase my 27 in 5 speed by at least 45 seconds.  I don't think I ask too much, haha.  But how do you keep up your love and desire when you feel like you are failing?

I refuse to give up and quit, let me say that right now, quitting is not an option.  I WILL do this, I will become that player that people see and say "Oh shit" when they are on the opposing team.  But until then, it is more hard work.  And then some more, and then even more.  I will become the best player and teammate that I can be.  And so after tears and anger and frustration with myself, questioning a lot of things and then doing some research on things to try, I have come up with a game plan.  Five things to help me through. Five things to look at each day to help me realize that I am making it.

  1. I will not compare my progress with that of another
  2. I will look at the things I have accomplished and not make little of them
  3. I will find a way to bring the fun into everyday and everything
  4. I will not feel guilty for taking a day to myself if I can not give 100%
  5. I will win! And no, I don't mean "the game," but I will set small goals and I will conquer them and celebrate when I do
So, moving forward this is my plan, this is how I will persevere and this is how I will be the best I can be at anything I put my mind to.  Everyday I will notice one thing that I can do that I could not do before and I will allow myself a small personal pat on the back for it.  

Now, how are you going to become the best you that you can be??



1 comment:

  1. You ARE succeeding. You ARE. Everyday. :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete