o Possible Skate Location – Thom and Janna are speaking with someone who owns a ware house we may be able to rent. The owner is willing to meet with us to talk shop. More info to follow.
o Practice this Sunday will be from 5pm to 8pm. See Thom’s email for the skate schedule.
o Sock Hop – Communicate with Brook and/or Cassie to see what is needed. Please be at the Dodger at 8pm to help set up. The party begins at 9pm; it will probably be busy by 10 or 11pm.
o Cassie and P attended Richmond’s practice with Charlottesville on Tuesday’s. They have some new drills for us to review with interesting info. Thom allotted time in the training schedules for both Sunday and Tuesday for us to work on the drills. Can’t wait!
o Fresh Meat Program– Brook is the recruitment director. We are not actively recruiting at this time but if you know of someone who wants to join please bring them. The Fresh Meat process will consist of skating with the fresh meat group for 3 months. All coaches will oversee the training along with skaters’ encouragement.
· 1st month: Free to determine if they are a good fit; i.e. physically, mentally, personally, etc…
· 2nd month: Ok… They are committed to derby! Dues and USARS are required at the beginning of the month.
· 3rd month: Continue gaining skills and assessments. At the end of month 3, the skater is discussed by the TEAM to determine if they are a good fit. Specifics to follow.
o USARS are due by October 14th, the second Tuesday practice in October. $55. More information to follow.
o Monthly Meeting – because a number of people were out of town this week, we will meet early October. More information to follow.
o Committees – Don’t forget to be working on your committee. Your committee should have progress to show at next meeting. If you are not on a committee or aren’t sure what you should be working on, contact April, Thom, or any other board member for direction. We hope to have specifics released to everyone by next meeting; i.e. who is doing what, contacts, etc…
Practice was as follows:
o TEAM Stretch – Announcements will be discussed during stretch and work out to save time for drills. The goal is to stretch for 5-10 minutes max, then exercises for 20-25 minutes max. The new work out may take a little longer than planned. Once everyone is on the same track, TEAM stretch and TEAM work out should be completed within 30minutes.
o TEAM Work Out – We will do this at every practice and are expecting everyone to do this at least 3 times per week. Give your body a day to rest between working out. We will slowly raise the reps as we go. NOTE: when working out, the pain will go away the more you use your muscles. If you do nothing, everything you’ve worked for.
Each set need to be done 3 times:
· Lunges – go down, hold, and turn torso left, right, left, right with arms level to chest (fists facing each other).
· Leg Lifts – Abs – left, straight, right = 1. Do that 10 times. Suck your tummy in!
· Pelvic Push – Torso – 5 seconds hold x 3 = 15 seconds.
· Crab Walk – Total Body – 5 one way, 5 the other way.
· Back stretch – Butt, Thighs, Torso – 5 each leg on back then 5 each leg on tummy.
· Push Ups – Upper Body - 10
· 10, 20, 30, 40 x THREE – 1st and 3rd regular, 2nd set dips
· Belt Whips – Becky was kind enough to let us borrow two belts to practice whips. Instead of using your arms, you grab the person’s belt and whip yourself around. It’s great for getting through pacts. This detours that skaters from being whipped into other players causing a huge wreck.
· Wedge Drill – Equal number of skaters in the same line with equal number of skaters in front and behind. You should always be able to touch the person in front and both sides of you. A pivot sets the pace in front (NO ONE SHOULD PASS THE PIVOT) slowing down by using the wedge method.
· Scrimmage 2 vs 2 with 1 Jammer – we will be scrimmaging each other with equal # of skaters and if necessary, one jammer. If we have enough people, we will scrimmage with a full TEAM.
· Fresh Meat – Drills with Thom – Becky, Lisa, Sarah, Chuck, and Carry worked with Thom working on basic drills and fundamentals. They are all quickly improving making the TEAM proud! Keep up the good work TEAM!
· Cool Down Skate
· TEAM Stretch
o We start as a TEAM, we finish as a TEAM.
o We stretch as a TEAM and work out as a TEAM.
o We skate as a TEAM.
o We do not leave TEAM members behind, start, or finish without them.
o We check our attitudes at the door to become a closer TEAM.
o We encourage the TEAM to push harder.
The Negotiator 8.2.0. Baby!