Rocktown Rollers's Fan Box

Monday, August 26, 2013

It's Grim Nemesis!!!

Skater Name:Grim Nemesis

Skater Number:1787

What made you choose your name and number:
For my name I always liked the idea of a goddess of retribution.  And the number, I'm a fan of the Constitution.

When did you join derby:
In May of 2008, during RTR's first season. Before we had a clue what we were doing or getting into.


Favorite derby memory:
Getting MVP during a bout against Poe's Punishers many years ago.

How has derby positively affected you:
To me, derby always will be a DIY sport filled with open-minded, snarky, fun, hard core, body accepting people.  I knew that I found a home when I met this amazing group of people who didn't make fun of me for not knowing how to skate or for having to work hard to get into better shape to be athletic but instead were eager to help me improve.  In many ways I love the social movement of derby showing how hard core women can be - that we are just as aggressive and physically capable as men and that aggression can be a good thing.

Favorite quote:
"Shut the f*** up and skate" - Troch 


Any other interesting tidbits we should know:
I think people should learn derby is the perfect example of not judging books by their covers.  Our derby names are alter-egos.  Some skaters are turning away from that, but I will always love my name and remember that that was the only way some people felt comfortable skating - by assuming an alter-ego.  Derby is very different now than it was when I started but we should remember and appreciate our history and not lose the best parts of it.



**photos courtesy of Robert Lipscomb Photography, Jenny Swab and Grim

No comments:

Post a Comment