Rocktown Rollers's Fan Box

Monday, September 30, 2013

Smashley Wheelams

Derby Name: Smashley Wheelams aka Smash

Derby Number: 1981

How did you choose your name and number: I'm a big movie person, and Evil Dead is one of my top favorites.  Ash from the movie is witty, goofy, but can fight some deadites so I adapted it for myself.  I picked 1981 because that is when the first movie came out.

When did you start roller derby: October of 2010

Favorite derby memory: Winning back to back MVP's was pretty amazing this year.  It's great to get recognized by other people for putting in your hard work and attempting to be an all around skater. 

How has derby positively affected you: Derby has saved me.  First and most important it keeps me fit when I decide to eat too many cupcakes.  It's opened the doors for some amazing experiences and meeting some of the most fantastic people you can even imagine.  If it wasn't for derby I wouldn't have the pleasure of knowing half the people I do.  It brings together so many personalities and breaks down walls of people so you can really get to know them.  I love it.


Favorite quote: "I like being weird. Weird's all i got. And that's my sweet style" - Maurice Moss
"I like flaws and feel more comfortable around people who have them.  I myself am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical Thinking




Any other juicy tidbits we should know: I am the most awkward person ever. Try me.


*photos courtesy Dan Jugglenaut Purdy, Robert Lipscomb Photography, and Smash's fb

No comments:

Post a Comment